Devices for Freshman and Sophomore students
- Students and parents/guardians must adhere to the SLUH Student Handbook and in particular to the Internet Policy section.
- Each teacher has the discretion to allow and regulate the use of devices in the classroom and on specific projects.
- Students are expected to arrive at school with their personal device fully charged for the day; batteries must have enough charge for each class. Electrical outlets dedicated to charging personal devices will not be available. A charging station with a limited number of charging ports is available in the Library.
- Students are not allowed to have cell phones on their person during the day.
- Student devices must have a label with the student's name or student ID
What model of iPad should I purchase for my son?
For the 2017-18 school year, your freshman and sophomore sons will be required to own an iPad. The following models are acceptable:
- any iPad Pro
- any iPad Air/Air 2
- 4th or 5th generation iPad
- a 2nd generation iPad mini or newer
The iPad must have at least 32GB of storage. iPads do not need to have 4G/LTE capabilities nor will they need to be connected to a cellular plan. As of 5/1/2017, a new 5th-generation iPad (Wi-Fi model) with 32GB can be purchased for $329 through Apple’s website (https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/). Refurbished iPads that meet our specifications can be purchased for less from other sellers, so long as they meet the requirements listed above. All iPads must be running iOS 10.3 or higher.
How can I tell which model iPad I have?
If you look at the back of your iPad, in the small print there is a Model number, which starts with an A and is followed by 4 digits. You can look up what the model number means here:
My son already has an iPad. Will he still need to purchase one?
If you already have an iPad, it can be used in place of purchasing a new one so long as it meets the requirements above.
What type of case should I buy for my student’s iPad?
Cases are a personal choice. We recommend choosing an iPad case that fully protects the device from drop damage, specifically the corners, such as the "DUX" line from STM bags:
Do I need to purchase a keyboard/keyboard case for the iPad?
Keyboards, like cases, are a personal choice. SLUH does not require one.
If you do wish to purchase a case, below are some models that we recommend that fit an iPad Air:
Make sure to check that the case you purchase fits the model of iPad you own.
How do I set up an ‘Apple ID’?
ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE AN APPLE ID.
If you need to set up a new account please follow this link:
Can I, as a parent, control what apps my child installs?
Yes, there is a way to set up parental controls for loading apps and making any changes to the iPad. Please follow this link for further details:
Can I set up spending limits on the device?
No, you can no longer set spending limits. However, with Family Sharing you can turn on the Ask to Buy feature. See the following link for more information:
Will the Internet be filtered on the students' iPads?
While on campus, student iPads will be filtered exactly like campus computers.
Do I need to purchase any specific apps?
Most of the apps used at SLUH are free to download. A few applications may require purchase.
These are the required apps for next year: Google Chrome, Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides and Notability. Individual teachers may require additional apps.
Can families opt out of the iPad program?
No. Freshman and sophomore students will be required to have an iPad for school use.