Prayer is part of the daily life of the SLUH community in the following ways:
Morning P.A. Prayer
Each day, homeroom begins with a prayer over the P.A., usually led by a member of the faculty, staff, or administration. Birthdays for the day are also announced at this time and held as a prayer intention.
MORNING CHAPEL PRAYER
Once a week, each class goes to the chapel instead of their homeroom. Once there, faculty or student groups lead 10-minute prayer services on various topics. Freshman attend on Mondays, Sophomores on Tuesdays, Juniors Wednesday, and Seniors Thursday.
Each day in the afternoon, a bell rings and the entire school community is given the instruction to be completely still for two minutes. The Examen is a form of prayer that comes out of the Ignatian tradition where you look back on the movements of your day and pray for the grace and resolve to move forward (see right for more details).
AFTERNOON P.A. PRAYER
Each afternoon at the end of the final announcements, the STUCO Pastoral Representative closes the day with a short prayer over the P.A. system.
Examen of Consciousness
Each school day, SLUH students, faculty and staff dedicate two minutes of reflective silence to the Examen of Consciousness. This simple exercise, inspired by St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus, is a daily method of self-examination intended to help practitioners better serve the Lord.
Following is a process summary used by those in the SLUH community for the Examen of Consciousness:
- Recall that you are in the presence of God. "God, I believe that at this moment I am in your presence and you are loving me."
- Ask for help from the Spirit. "God, you know my needs better than I know them. Give me your light and help as I review this day."
- Review your day. "God, help me to review the events of this day in order to recognize your blessings and my shortcomings."
- Ask for pardon and give thanks. "God, I ask your forgiveness for my failings and I thank you for all your blessings."
- Resolve to listen to God's voice. "As I look forward to the rest of this day make me aware that you are with me, show me how to become the person you want me to be."