Where am I?
Alumni Board Recognizes Kornfeld
Pictured (from left): Tim Wells '99 (Alumni Board Officer), Jim Hill '84 (Alumni Board President), Coach Gary Kornfeld, and Bob Macauley '74 (Alumni Board Officer).
The alumni of St. Louis University High, represented by the Alumni Board, honored Gary Kornfeld for his commitment and contributions to the School’s football program at the board’s back-to-school meeting on August 29. Kornfeld, in his 25th year as the head coach, has earned 182 wins and 15 state playoff berths, among other accomplishments, throughout his remarkable career.
The Alumni Board presented Kornfeld with a special glass-encased football, recognizing his 25 years of coaching excellence. Coach Kornfeld’s career has been punctuated by a multitude of achievements, including:
- 182 victories
- 15 State playoff berths
- 14 District titles
- 7 Conference crowns
- Finalist in the Show-Me Bowl Championship game (1991)
- 7 times selected “Metro Catholic Conference Coach of the Year”
- Chosen as “Metropolitan Coach of the Year” by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (1991)
Kornfeld addressed the Alumni Board, emphasizing his gratitude to the School and his coaching staff over the years. He said he feels blessed to have such knowledgeable and committed assistant coaches.
A native of St. Louis, Kornfeld attended Brentwood High School and lettered in football, basketball and track. He continued his football-playing career at Southeast Missouri State University on an athletic scholarship. While at SEMO, he had an outstanding football career. He was a two-time all-MIAA Conference selection at tight end and was chosen as the team’s outstanding player his senior year. In 1985, Kornfeld earned his Master’s Degree from the University of Missouri at St. Louis.
His coaching career began in 1977 when he served as an assistant varsity football coach at Perryville High School in southern Missouri. A position at a school with the prestige and integrity of SLUH attracted Kornfeld to the Backer Memorial campus in 1979. After serving as a varsity football assistant for nine years at the U. High, he was named varsity head coach in the spring of 1988.
Along with being the varsity head football coach, Kornfeld has served as the department chairman for physical education and he also teaches driver’s education.
Gary and his wife, Karen, have three children – Mark (Beth), Kara (Brad) and John – and four grandchildren – Colin, Madison Rose, Luke and Kyle.
- 12/09/2013 08:48:10 | Scholarship for Irish Boys Takes Flight
- 12/06/2013 10:38:25 | Fields ’14 Takes POL for Second Year in a Row
- 12/06/2013 10:31:07 | Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony Opens Garden
- 12/03/2013 16:08:42 | Iyer '14 to Publish Research
- 12/02/2013 13:33:54 | Robinson Triplets Hit Mark
- 11/25/2013 14:59:21 | Liberating Work
- 11/25/2013 11:14:18 | Godar ’14 Attends NJCL Meeting
- 11/19/2013 11:08:23 | Rising Young Star
- 11/18/2013 12:05:50 | Fathers, Sons Lend Helping Hand
- 11/18/2013 11:11:28 | SoccerBills Advance to Semifinals