Where am I?
Scholarship Golf Classic a Success
Pictured, Top (from left): Erwin Claggett, Dr. John Moran, Jeff Keesling, David Laughlin, Kurt Mungenast; Bottom (from left): Jay Howe, Tim Sansone '84, Joe Jedlicka '80, Jay Delsing '79, Steve Mattingly.
>>>CLICK HERE to see photos from the event.
The inaugural SLUH Scholarship Golf Classic, Presented by Mungenast Automotive Family, was held October 15 at the scenic Country Club of St. Albans. It was an exciting, first-of-its-kind event for the School and exceeded expectations by netting $105,000 for the scholarship fund. In addition, a lucky winner drove away in a new 2013 Lexus RX 350.
“This was a new and exciting event for SLUH and golfers of all skill levels,” says Jay Delsing, a PGA Professional and 1979 graduate of SLUH who was on the event planning committee. “Every participant had eight chances to win a brand-new car while supporting the academic excellence at the city’s premier high school.”
The course was set up to include eight Par-3 holes. Each golfer had a chance to win a brand-new car on every Par-3 with a hole-in-one. The eight golfers who were closest to the hole on each Par-3 hole qualified for a Shootout before the gallery to win a 2-year lease on a 2013 Lexus RX 350, courtesy of Mungenast Lexus of St. Louis. Dan Devereux ’69 won the Shootout and the lease on the new Lexus.
All event proceeds will benefit SLUH’s scholarship fund, which allows the School to continue its legacy of admitting any qualified young man regardless of his ability to pay tuition. St. Louis U. High prepares boys from diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. More than 35% of families receive financial assistance; the average financial aid award is $7,100.
This accessibility makes the U. High unique, not only in St. Louis, but in private education on a broad scale. Importantly, the scholarship program enables the School’s student body to reflect the geographic, socio-economic and ethnic diversity of the area. Jr. Billikens reside in 89 different zip codes on both sides of the Mississippi River.
The second annual SLUH Scholarship Golf Classic will be held Monday, September 30, 2013 at the Country Club of St. Albans. It will coincide with next year’s Reunion Weekend on September 26-28.
SLUH thanks the volunteers who helped to organize and run the event, and especially to the many generous sponsors. Major sponsors included:
- Mungenast Automotive Family
- Sansone Group
- Dowd Bennett LLP
- Mark Schuchardt of Northwestern Mutual
- T. Danis Charitable Trust
- Capital for Business
- Beckerle Financial Group
- Cook, Ysursa, Bartholomew, Brauer, & Shevlin
- Emerson Hermetic Motor
- Joe and Nancy Sellinger
- Tom Santel ‘76
- Account Resolution Corporation
- Safety National Casualty Corporation
- Mungenast St. Louis Acura
- Mungenast Hyundai
- Lou Fusz Automotive Network
- Paul Cerame Ford
- Mungenast Alton Toyota
- McMahon Ford
- Elco Cadillac
- Dave Sinclair Lincoln-Mercury
- 12/09/2013 08:48:10 | Scholarship for Irish Boys Takes Flight
- 12/06/2013 10:38:25 | Fields ’14 Takes POL for Second Year in a Row
- 12/06/2013 10:31:07 | Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony Opens Garden
- 12/03/2013 16:08:42 | Iyer '14 to Publish Research
- 12/02/2013 13:33:54 | Robinson Triplets Hit Mark
- 11/25/2013 14:59:21 | Liberating Work
- 11/25/2013 11:14:18 | Godar ’14 Attends NJCL Meeting
- 11/19/2013 11:08:23 | Rising Young Star
- 11/18/2013 12:05:50 | Fathers, Sons Lend Helping Hand
- 11/18/2013 11:11:28 | SoccerBills Advance to Semifinals