Where am I?
Jr. Bills Help U.S. VETS
Pictured: SLUH fathers and sons team up for service at the U.S. VETS in St. Louis. (Photo by Bob Schenk '81.)
>>>CLICK HERE to view photos from the event.
Since the Fathers’ Club began in 1938, it has played an integral role in supporting the mission of the School through service-related activities. Most recently, SLUH fathers and sons provided needed service for the U.S. VETS, which offers transitional housing to homeless veterans.
Twenty volunteers took on yard maintenance projects on October 20th to prepare the site for winter. They bagged leaves, trimmed trees and cleaned gutters.
“We are constantly reminded to be ‘Men for Others’ and working with U.S. VETS is not only about serving those who served this nation,” says Bob Schenk ’81, who volunteered with his son Parker ’12. “It’s about helping to provide one of the most basic human needs, ‘a place to call home.’”
“Today we have 20 veterans living with us along with 16 of their dependents, including 14 children,” says Bill Wallace, Site Director at U.S. VETS - St. Louis. “We are quite pleased that we are serving veteran families, to meet the real need in St. Louis and to be the only U.S. VETS site offering these long-term supportive housing services. “
SLUH fathers and sons also provided a helping hand to U.S. VETS in April of this year, when they undertook a variety of outdoor projects.
- 12/03/2013 16:08:42 | Iyer '14 to Publish Research
- 12/02/2013 13:33:54 | Robinson Triplets Hit Mark
- 11/25/2013 14:59:21 | Liberating Work
- 11/25/2013 11:14:18 | Godar ’14 Attends NJCL Meeting
- 11/19/2013 11:08:23 | Rising Young Star
- 11/18/2013 12:05:50 | Fathers, Sons Lend Helping Hand
- 11/18/2013 11:11:28 | SoccerBills Advance to Semifinals
- 11/14/2013 14:56:06 | Chinese Idol
- 11/14/2013 11:33:33 | In Good Company
- 11/11/2013 14:50:32 | Team Speed Takes State Title