"He who sings prays twice."
"The musical tradition of the universal Church is a treasure of inestimable value, greater even than that of any other art. [As] a combination of sacred music and words, it forms a necessary or integral part of solemn liturgy. The composition and singing of inspired psalms, often accompanied by musical instruments, were already closely linked to the liturgical celebrations of the Old Covenant. The Church continues and develops this tradition." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1156)
Liturgical music is a vibrant part of student life at SLUH. Students are involved in music for many of our liturgies. They may participate in the liturgical choir for class-level Masses, all-school prayer services, all-school Masses, and chapel prayer services.
Rehearsal Dates for All School Masses 2018-19
All rehearsals are held during Activity Period in the Choir Room, unless otherwise specified.
- Mass of the Holy Spirit (8/21/18): Friday, August 17; Monday, August 20
- All Saints' Day (11/1/18): Monday, October 29; Wednesday, October 31
- Bicentennial Mass (11/16/18): Monday, November 12; Tuesday, November 13
- Ash Wednesday (3/6/19): Thursday, February 28; Monday, March 4
- Mass of Praise & Gratitude (4/26/19): Monday, April 15; Tuesday, April 23; Wednesday April 24
Rehearsals for class-level Masses will be held during Activity Periods in the 1-2 weeks before each date.
Contact Mr. Brian Gilmore, Campus Minister, at email@example.com for information on how to participate in liturgical music at SLUH.