The Eucharist is the center of life at SLUH. We celebrate the Eucharist in a variety of settings:
- Daily Mass: During the 2020-21 school year, we will offer Daily Mass in the Main Chapel at 7:50am any day that students are in the building. Note: the later start time is due to a later start to the school day. After Mass, students and teachers will still have time to get to their first period class on time.
- All-School Mass: Given the current circumstances and space restrictions of our physical facility, our ability to safely offer all-school Masses is impacted for the 2020-21 academic year. After the Mass of the Holy Spirit, our next opportunity for a large liturgy would be on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. Plans for this celebration will come as the date grows nearer.
- Class Masses: Each student will still celebrate in-person Class Masses in the Main Chapel with his assigned cohort. These class Masses are scheduled at the end of the day on selected Ignatius 5-7 and Xavier 5-7 days. Below is the schedule for these class Masses during the Fall 2020 semester.
- Seniors: September 14/15, October 26/27
- Juniors: September 21/22, November 16/17
- Sophomores: October 12/13, November 30/December 1
- Freshmen: October 5/7, November 2/3
- First Friday Masses: SLUH participates in the Church's observance of the First Friday devotion. Daily Mass (7:50am) will be celebrated in the Main Chapel on the following first Fridays. However, since students are on campus according to cohort, this year we will add a "First Thursday" during the first semester to ensure that each student has the opportunity to attend in-person. When the second semester schedule gets set, we will adapt plans as needed.
- October 2 (and Thursday, October 1)
- November 6 (and Thursday, November 5)
- December 4 (and Thursday, December 3)
- February 5
- March 5
- May 7
- Sunday Family Masses: Information on the Mother-Son Mass & Brunch, Father-Son Mass & Banquet, and Grandparents' Mass is forthcoming.
Typically, we train and commission a group of seniors to serve as Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion for a variety of Masses at SLUH. Seniors interested in this opportunity should talk with Ms. Julie Anderson (email@example.com) in Campus Ministry. This year, at least for the immediate future, we are suspending student Eucharistic ministers.
One of the many ways that SLUH students participate in Mass is through serving. If any student is interested in serving, whether or not you have serving experience, check with Campus Ministry about the possibility to serve at daily, class, or all-school Masses. This year, at least for the immediate future, we are suspending student servers.
SLUH students take active roles in lectoring at Masses. For class and all-school Masses, lectors are typically chosen from the grade-level pastoral teams. These pastoral teams are open to any interested student. If any student is interested in lectoring at the daily, morning Mass before school, let Campus Ministry know and we can get you on the schedule.
Students are involved in music for many of our liturgies. They may participate in the liturgical choir for class-level Masses, all-school prayer services, all-school Masses, and chapel prayer services. Update: involvement in liturgical music for the 2020-21 academic year will be limited. Contact Mr. Brian Gilmore, Campus Minister, at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to participate in liturgical music at SLUH.