Sophomore Service Experience: Class of 2025
Community service programs are instrumental in providing the type of transformative experience that is the hallmark of Jesuit education. In developing relationships with the poor and disenfranchised, students are called out of their comfort zones and challenged to examine their lives in terms of Christian justice. During each student’s four years at SLUH, It is our hope that each student will have multiple opportunities for such encounters with people typically thought of to be on the margins of society.
The theology department recognizes that the Catholic Faith, to be authentic, must be a faith that does justice. The campus ministry department recognizes that student service activities are most formative when they are paired with context and reflection.
Thus, Sophomores will complete their service hours while enrolled in the first semester sophomore theology course. This will provide them with opportunities to contribute to the Body of Christ, which they learn about in the first semester theology course, and to ground their service in Gospel values. Reflection upon their service experience will constitute a significant portion of the theology course final assessment.
- Each sophomore is to complete 10 hours – all at the same site.
- Students taking summer theology will complete their service from May 22 - July 15.
- Students taking fall theology will complete their service from September 5 - November 18.
- Each sophomore will choose a service site from an approved list of sites found within the X2Vol portal (Instructions below). Within this portal, students can do many things:
- Research all pre-approved opportunities,
- Find and sign up for 10 hours of service, and
- Log those service hours.
- If students know of other service opportunities, they should complete the Sophomore Service Proposal Form and submit it to Mrs. Anzalone for approval, prior to completing the service.
Thank you for your support of the Sophomore Service Experience!
Fr. Ian Gibbons, SJ
Mrs. Simonie Anzalone
Mr. Jon Ott
Theology Department Chair