If you have seriously considered pursuing a religious vocation, you are not alone. According to a 2007 Young Adult Catholics Study by Hoge & Jewell, 48 percent of men have "seriously considered" priesthood. Equally as impressive, more than 2,500 pilgrims visited the Vocations Expo per hour during World Youth Day 2008 in Sydney, Australia.
Coupled with the fact that SLUH has consistently been a top feeder school to Kenrick Seminary—and its students have historically shown a strong presence with the Missouri Province Jesuits—there is clearly an openness and willingness within the young men at SLUH to pursue religious vocations. In the last 10 years, 49 percent of Jesuit novices in the Central and Southern Province attended Jesuit high schools.
SLUH provides support and resources to those interested in learning more about pursuing religious vocations. The school embraces a discernment model that encourages students to actively engage their spiritual calling. For instance, students have the opportunity to pray, seek spiritual direction, talk to priests and attend retreats.
The following resources provide helpful information and support for those who think God might be calling them to be a Jesuit priest or brother, or if they just want to learn more about the Jesuits.
- Official site of the Vocation Office of the Society of Jesus
- Official site of the Central and Southern Province of the Society of Jesus
- Website with blogs and entries written by young members of the Society of Jesus
- Hearts on Fire (Prayers by Jesuits, edited by Mike Harter, S.J.)
- The Fifth Week (Stories by great Jesuits, William O'Malley, S.J.)
- The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything (James Martin, S.J.)
- Tattoos on the Heart (Greg Boyle, S.J.)
- Ignatius' Own Story (Translated by William J. Young, S.J.)
- To Fling Out Broad His Name: The Jesuit Charism in the Church (Short writings about Jesuit life compiled by Jesuit vocation directors)
- Voices of Blood (Stories of Jesuit martyrs by William O'Malley, S.J.)
- With God in Russia (By Walter Ciszek, S.J., the story of his persecution in Russia in 1950s and 1960s)
- He Leadeth Me (Walter Ciszek, S.J., prayer life that helped him survive while in captivity)
If you are interested in learning more about pursuing a religious vocation, you may contact:
Fr. Ralph Houlihan, S.J.
St. Louis University High School
(314) 531-0330 x2044
Fr. Randy Gibbons, S.J.
Coordinator of Vocation Promotion
Jesuits USA Central and Southern Province
4511 West Pine Boulevard
Saint Louis, MO 63108
Rev. Brian Fallon '04
Director of Vocations
Archdiocese of Saint Louis
Did you know that more than 80 Jesuits have graduated from SLUH?