In educating, our steps must be well balanced, one step on the cornice of safety but the other in the zone of risk. And when the risk becomes safe, the next step must venture into another area of risk. Education cannot be confined to the safety zone.
– Pope Francis
True to our Jesuit heritage, we have continually balanced “safety” and “risk” to achieve educational excellence. Today, we are called to further explore and expand the spectrum between stability and possibility for our young men and their total formation.
We must polish our program by embracing a new vision that emphasizes collaboration, innovation and experiential learning, one that is balanced by cura personalis, or care for the whole person, and grounded in a spiritual and global mindset. Not for the sake of change or to follow others, but to adapt and set the curve.
A Bold Vision
Education evolves at an accelerating rate. Faculty increasingly value their role as teaching facilitators, as opposed to classroom directors, to encourage dialogue and group problem solving. Gone are the days of operating in silos, as departments team up to become more efficient, effective educators. Meanwhile, students are more focused on becoming better learners. They are embracing a new mindset – and a new world – marked more by collaboration and process than facts and formulas.
Mindful of the pulse and vitality in education today, Go Forth engages a holistic, collaborative model of curriculum development and innovative programming. Initiatives include:
- Expansion of Collaborative Learning and Cross-Curricular Themes
- STEM Projects and Project-Based Learning (PBL)
- Summer Curriculum Institute
- Strategic Curriculum Initiatives
- Enrichment of curriculum collaboration, experiential learning
- Comprehensive Counseling and Student Support Services
- College Placement Director
- Center for Academic Success
- Decreased student/counselor ratio
- Four-Year Learning Skills Program
- Addition of Arabic language and culture studies to the curriculum
- Increased Campus Ministry space and staff
- Expansion of foreign- and English-based exchange program
- Creation of World Learning Center for enhanced global education with modernized library, research and information services
Collectively, these initiatives will elevate us to a new level of leadership in education. In striking a balance between the “cornice of safety” and “risk zone,” they provide our students the best opportunity to succeed in college and beyond.