How to apply
- I would like to be a member of NHS. How will I know I am eligible and when can I submit a membership form?
Sophomores and Juniors who have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.60 are invited to apply at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. The membership forms for 2017 will be due to the NHS Moderator (Mrs. Casey) by the end of the school day on Friday, February 22, 2019.
- When are members inducted into NHS?
The induction ceremony for 2019 will be held on May 5, 2019 at 2:00pm.
- How many service hours must I have to be considered for NHS membership?
Sophomores and Juniors must have served 18+ hours of service of presence between June 1, 2018 and February 22, 2019.
- What is Service of Presence?
Service of Presence requires National Honor Society members to work directly with those in need. In other words, those who are serving must be working directly with those who are being served. All approved service can be found on x2Vol. New service sites can be requested for approval. Please see Mrs. Casey for more information.
- Where can I find the list of approved agencies for NHS Service of Presence?
All approved service can be found on x2Vol.
- I would like to suggest additional agencies to be included on the list of approved agencies for NHS service of presence. What is the procedure to do that?
New service sites can be requested for approval. Please see Mrs. Casey or Mr. Hussung for more information.
For Current Members
- What is "Service of Involvement?"
This type of service recognizes that NHS members are involved in their respective communities
in multiple ways, all of which are essential. Involvement can be SLUH related, but other organizations, such as Boy Scouts or youth groups, are valid groups for this type of service. All sports teams are considered pre-approved. NHS members may complete 9 hours of service in this category.
- What is "Service to SLUH?"
This type of service recognizes that NHS members serve the SLUH community in ways that
would traditionally be considered service, but do not fulfill the requirements of service of presence.
Each National Honor Society Member must be a tour guide for SLUH’s open house and must
volunteer for at other SLUH events, such as Cashbah, SLUHtique, or the food drives. NHS
members may complete 9 hours of service in this category.
- In the 4th quarter, I was inducted as a member of NHS. Now what?
For Juniors: Beginning June 1, your service hours will count for hours served for the 2018-2019 school year. NHS members must complete all 36+ hours of service by April 12, 2019. Among other activities, members must attend NHS quarterly meetings. Other activities will be planned by the NHS officers and NHS members will be notified as necessary.
For Seniors: Beginning June 1, your service hours will count for hours served for the 2018-2019 school year. NHS members must complete all 9+ hours of service by December 14, 2018. Among other activities, members must attend NHS quarterly meetings. Other activities will be planned by the NHS officers and NHS members will be notified as necessary.
- Does Senior Service Project count towards my hours needed for NHS during Senior year?
Yes, but you need an additional 9+ hours completed by December 14, 2018.
- Is there a deadline to complete the required service hours?
Yes. Service hours are due April 12, 2019 for juniors and December 14, 2018 for seniors.
- I forgot to turn in my service hour form by the due date. Are there consequences?
Please see Mr. Hussung or Mrs. Casey if your form is late.
- I was not able to complete the required number of service hours by the final due date. Are there consequences?
Members who do not complete the required number of service hours by the final due date will be placed on probation for one subsequent complete quarter (1st quarter of the following school year). If, by the end of that time, that member has performed the necessary remaining service hours from the previous school year, and his actions do not warrant further consequences, his membership will return to regular status. However, if, during that time, that member fails to live up to the duties of an NHS member (such as failure to complete his missing service hours from the previous year, submit the required service forms, pay his dues, or attend mandatory activities, etc...) his NHS membership will be revoked. Seniors who are on probation anytime during the 4th quarter will not be recognized as "NHS members in good standing" at the All School Awards Ceremony in April.
- Besides the service requirement, what else is required?
Members must attend the quarterly meetings and attend induction.